Friday 5 January 2018

Serena Williams Withdraws From Australian Open

                            Image result for Serena William Australian Open
Former world number one Serena Williams has withdrawn from this month's Australian Open in Melbourne.

The 36-year-old American last week played her first match since giving birth in September.

Williams, a 23-time Grand Slam winner and the reigning Australian Open champion, said: "Although I am super close, I'm not where I want to be."

She said: "My coach and team always said 'only go to tournaments when you are prepared to go all the way'. I can compete - but I don't want to just compete, I want to do far better than that and to do so, I will need a little more time. The memory of last year's Open is one that I will carry with me, and Olympia and I look forward to coming back again."

No comments: